Thursday 19 January 2012

Buy Better Challenge 2012


Vintage dress from www.sianvictoriaboutique.com

Buy Better Challenge manifested itself the first Saturday of the New Year. I was pouring over the Saturday papers and saw an article in Guardian Money by Rebecca Smithers, "Making do and mending my ways" talked about her New Year resolution: giving up buying any clothes for all of 2012. She sighted the above inflation 6% leap in rail fares and the chance discovery of a much-loved cable-knit sweater as the catalyst for her decision. The realisation of an abundance of clothes and shoes stowed in cupboards and wardrobes that had not seen the light of day for many a year, forced her to re-evaluate.  Abstinence from buying clothes is a real challenge for any woman, impossible for someone who works in fashion like me I proclaimed, as I had done so many times before, when I read of such an admirable undertaking. Then, rather like a light bulb moment I suppose, only I was not about to make a scientific discovery, or have an entirely original idea, I decided I was going to start buying less clothes, shoes, and bags! Better still I would abstain from buying anything new for the whole of 2012, rather like Rebecca Smithers, only I would indulge myself with one vintage purchase per month.

If I am honest the thread of this idea began earlier last year. I set up my own business and began writing a novel, this comes at a price, the budget had to be tightened and a new order of spending begun. Although I was more frugal and clever with my spending I still had a burning passion to invest in as many of the latest trends as I could. Slowly but surely I became more disciplined. I was fuelled by reports about buying less and better which weaved their way to my door. www.fashionising.com chairman Daniel P Dykes manifesto says the new luxury is being able to survive with a small pleasurable wardrobe in the article "The Curated Wardrobe".
Daniel P Dykes www.fashionising.com 
Image source fashionising.com

Sarah Mower's piece in The Telegraph's magazine Stella, talks about leaving behind the IT bag, resisting the need to invest in one per season, adding it's about clever investment in luxury goods, suggesting that understated luxury which stands the test of time is the way to go.

The powerfully spoken Anne Skarre Nielsen, a futurist from Future Navigator, was the tipping point. Speaking for Eco Age on youtube early last week on The Future Of The Consumer, she states we should "stop doing more and start doing better". In other words make better choices and buy better.
http://www.eco-age.com/item/1085-The_future_of_the_consumer_
Livia Firth co-founder of Eco-Age has a growing team and an excellent new website launched last October, the site is on online magazine packed with inspirational big thinkers and bloggers and ethically sourced fashion, and beauty shop.  

Livia Firth Creative Director of www.eco-age.com Image source Eco Age

Anne Skarre Nielsen founding partner of Future Navigator. Image source Eco Age

So you see this idea is not a whim, it's been carefully brewing over a number of months, influenced by many industry experts and my gut feeling that I needed to change my habits to lead a better existence. Previously I refused to believe I had the will power to avoid shopping, especially as the temptation is gigantic, my job as a trend researcher sees shopping activity at least twice a week. I likened it to asking an alcoholic to visit a pub each day and not accept a drink, nearly impossible I deduced. The challenge is set, the decision has left me liberated, full of purpose and not at all phased, that said how would I fare on the job!

Friday 13th was the moment of truth. Four stores into my research, all successfully exited without a single pull toward a must have item. Then..... I was drawn like a magnet to a cream crochet sweater, it was as soft as snow, a truly gorgeous blend of cashmere, wool and silk by Gudrun and Gudrun, the Danish knitwear brand made famous by Sarah Lund in "The Killing". I almost gasped out loud when I saw the price, down from £430 to £80, it was a no brainer, I had to have it, allowances must be made, I can't walk away from such a good buy. Ah, but then I remembered, my heart sank, the challenge did not include the purchase of this beautiful item, there was no way around it. Hmmm, what if I got someone to buy it for me as a present? I thought of calling my husband, racked my brain of who may wish to buy me such a present? Slowly I realised this was my first test, I had to walk away. I returned to the loved item twice in the hope someone would magic a way around me owning this sweater. I drifted toward the store exit and thought of all the other moments that lay ahead, where I would try to justify why I could buy the said item.  I am actually looking forward to the mix of euphoric, pacey, hysteria, followed by panic and then reality when I realise there is no way the must have item can find it's way into my wardrobe, not this year anyway.

Follow me each week to find out how the Buy Better Challenge is going and don't miss our usual reports on what Style Industries is coveting. Sadly Lola will be absent the next few months travelling, we are looking forward to her return in late spring. A huge thanks to all who have inspired me!


     

No comments: